Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Road: East Coast Trip

It was less than a week ago that I got back to Michigan from seeing 6 ballparks on the west coast. My time back in Ann Arbor has been very busy as I am putting the finishing touches on my report and presentation for the IFASD in Bristol, UK. Now I am headed out again to see 7 ballparks in a 12 day trip - this time on the east coast. I planning to see Rogers Centre in Toronto, Fenway Park in Boston, the two New York ballparks (Yankee Stadium and Citi Field), Citizen's Bank Park in Philadelphia, Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, and Nationals Park in D.C. The MLB schedule lined up near perfectly for me in that I will be able to go from north to south without backtracking. I will also have budgeted enough time in case if the weather does not cooperate.

The biggest difference on this trip compared to the West coast trip is that I will be driving from city to city in my truck. I will start off driving from Ann Arbor to Toronto to see the Blue Jays play a day game. My stay in Canada will be brief as I hope to make it to the Red Sox game in Boston the next afternoon. I am crossing my fingers but there is rain in the forecast for Boston on Sunday. I am hopeful that they will try to get that game in because it is the last time the Red Sox and Indians are scheduled to play this year. If this game gets rained out, I will try to attend the game the following night.

If the Red Sox game doesn't get rained out, I will drive down to Greenwich, CT to meet up with one of my former college roommates at his mother's house on Monday. This former roommate lives in New York City so we will take the train from Connecticut to Manhattan and I will be able to leave my car at his mother's house. The plan is for me to stay at my roommate's apartment for 4 nights and go to Mets game and Yankees games. Unfortunately the Yankees do not play Tigers because I need to have my revenge after this roommate (a big Yankees fan) celebrated like no other during a Tigers-Yankees playoff game last year. I will then take the train back to Connecticut and pick up my car.

This is where my east coast trip is still being finalized. I will then try to meet up with a friend from back home in Philadelphia. This friend just got relocated from Philadelphia to New York but he has his apartment for a few more days. Even though he may not have furniture, I am completed satisfied with sleeping on the floor if it saves my some money as opposed to getting a hotel. We have two options for attending Phillies games: a Friday night game and a Saturday afternoon game. I guess part of this depends on the weather in Philadelphia and Baltimore (my next stop). I am hoping the weather forecast looks promising for the Oriole game on Sunday as it is the last game of a 5-game home stand. I might try to head to Baltimore then return to Philadelphia if the weather looks dicey since it is less than a 2 hour drive between the two cities. Luckily I have access to my own personal meteorologist (my dad). 

The last ballpark on the east coast trip is Nationals Park in Washington D.C. The Nationals do not play at home until June  4. This means I will have an entire day off to tour the monuments on the national mall. I still need to look in to possible lodging in Washington D.C. I imagine hotels and parking downtown are very expensive so it may be economical to get a hotel near the subway and take it in to the city. My last day on the trip will be making the 8 hour drive back to Ann Arbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment