Monday, May 6, 2013

Post Graduation Trip: All 30 MLB Ballparks in 2013

I think anyone who knows me would agree that I am a big sports fan. I am about to start a new chapter in my life. The past five years of my life have been spent at the University of Michigan earning my bachelor's and master's degrees in mechanical engineering. Before I start a new full-time job in July, I am attempted to accomplish a feat that any baseball fan would envy: attend all 30 MLB ballparks. There are even websites dedicated to this adventure! My original goal was to attend all 30 MLB parks in one continuous trip but I quickly realized that this might becoming overbearing and unenjoyable. I have since revised my goal to attend all 30 MLB ballparks during the 2013 season. Still a lofty goal but one I believe I can accomplished (despite the doubts of one of my current roommates). Even if I fail, I know I will enjoy my travels across the country, catching up with family and friends, and watching baseball in its natural environment.

As it turns out my commitment-free summer to tour the MLB ballparks hasn't turned out to be totally commitment-free - but for good reason. A research paper I authored was selected for the International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics in Bristol, UK. I am really excited to have the opportunity to travel to England in late June and present my paper. Unfortunately, baseball is not as popular in Europe as it is in North America but I hope a little break from baseball will revitalize me on my quest.

I quickly learned that planning a trip to all 30 MLB stadiums is no easy task. I ended up channeling my inner nerd and coded up a MATLAB script to create a Google spreadsheet containing the dates and times of the home games for all 30 teams. From there I started devising my trips. Some trips have been more or less established by I still have some work to do. But more on those trips later.

I hope this blog will provide my friends, family, acquaintances, and strangers the ability to follow my journey. I chose a blog format over other forms of social media such as Facebook and Twitter so everyone who cares can see my latest updates, and so I won't annoy those who don't with long posts and lots of pictures of baseball stadiums. Please feel free to comment on my posts, pictures, and updates. Also, I am still looking for places to stay in several cities so please contact me directly if you can help me out.






1 comment: