Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ballpark: Fenway Park

On May 26, I attended the Sunday afternoon game at Fenway Park between the Red Sox and the Indians. Fenway Park is one of the most beloved ballparks in the country and it is easy to see why. I bought a ticket online prior for centerfield but encounter about $12 in fees. In hindsight I would look in to buying tickets from season ticket holders who can't go to the game since the Red Sox help facilitate these transactions.

The ballpark is nestled between many bars, shops, and other establishments that have popped up around the stadium since it was opened in 1912. The bars and stores create an atmosphere of passion and pride in Red Sox that carries in to the stadium. For being a ballpark that is over 100 years old. There have been many renovations that make the park modern but keeps the old time feeling. There were tributes to Ted Williams, logos throughout the years, and 1920 style print at the concession stands. At the concessions, I got my souvenir cup, some kettle corn (per advice of one Boston friend), and opted for a Fenway frank over the clam chowder (my Boston friends were split on these) because I was thinking about getting seafood for dinner. Aside from clam chowder, the unique item I saw were lobster rolls. I didn't go for this because if I am going to have lobster I am going to do it right (whole and with melted butter). I think there are three aspects of Fenway park that I believe separate Fenway from other ballparks across the league: its age, its outfield, and its size. Everyone knows about the large wall in left known as the "Green Monster" but the walls in center and right are strange too. The walls in centerfield  meet at an add angle giving rise to the nickname of "The Triangle". Not to be outdone, the wall in right field is almost parallel to the foul line leaving "Pesky's Pole" a short distance from home plate. Once I sat down in my seat, I quickly realized how small Fenway Park is - the 37,000 capacity is hard to believe since the upperdeck is very small and aside from a few "Monster Seats" there are no seats in left field.

The game itself was a thriller. Aided by a dropped pop-up by Jacoby Ellsbury in the top of the 1st inning, the Indians got out to a 2-0 lead. They stretched the lead to 4-1 after Jason Kipnis hit one of the shortest homeruns I have ever seen (just sneaking around Pesky's Pole) and Swisher hit a more traditional homerun over the Green Monster. Cleveland brought in closer Chris Perez to hold on to a 5-2 9th inning lead. Boston pushed two runs across and loaded the bases for Ellsbury. Mid-at-bat to Ellsbury, Chris Perez got hurt and another reliever was brought in to finish the at-bat. First pitch from the new pitcher was stroked above the centerfielder's head for a walk-off win. A few of the fans around me had left but a vast majority were standing and cheering for the home team.

My take-away from Fenway Park is that its small size and unique features give the ballpark character that is truly one-of-a-kind. The fan's passion and history at the ballpark make has made it a great place to watch a baseball game. Fenway clearly lacks some the amenities of the newer ballparks (better sight-lines, easier to get around the concourse, and a grand entrance) but its charm makes one of the best ballparks I have visited.







No comments:

Post a Comment