Friday, June 7, 2013

The Road: Lake Michigan

Tomorrow I will take off on my most densely packed trip of the summer: 4 games in 4 days. I am headed to the opposite side of Lake Michigan to see the Brewers, Cubs, White Sox, and Twins all play in game at their home ballparks. This trip will be shorter both in time and mileage than my previous two trips but should still be exciting.

Tomorrow I will drive from my parents' house in DeWitt to Wrigleyville in Chicago to pick up my friend Chris from U-M. Although the Cubs play an afternoon game tomorrow, we will drive north to MIlwaukee to watch the Brewers play the Phillies. Interesting enough, this is the same matchup I saw in Philadelphia less than a week ago. We will then drive back to Chicago after the game and I will be able to crash at Chris's apartment right next to Wrigley Field.

The next day, I will make the short walk across the street to watch the Cubs play. I am going to the cubs game with a couple of friends from high school who I haven't seen for a while but now live on the north-side of Chicago. On Monday, I am planning on walking around Chicago during the day while my friends have to work. I have been spoiled in that I have been to Chicago about a half dozen times in my life but there is always different to do right off of Michigan Ave. In the evening I will make the trip on the 'L' to the south-side of Chicago to meet up with another friend from U-M and watch the White Sox play. I might have to break my rule to root for the home team as the White Sox are one of the Tigers' main rivals.

On Tuesday, I leave Chicago for Minneapolis. I am planning on parking near the Mall of America and taking the light rail to the Twins new downtown, open-air stadium, Target Field. That will complete my 4 games in 4 day journey but am extending my trip to do something non-baseball related. I will be spending an extra day at my Grandparents' cabin in the Upper Peninsula. This is a special place for our family and we tried to visit the cabin every year while growing up to fish, hike, have campfires, and just get away for a couple of days. I return to civilization on Friday and only have a couple of days before I take off again: this time of England for my academic conference

No comments:

Post a Comment